We all are aware of Yoga, the ancient Indian discipline, which is now spread in all parts of the world. In simplest terms yoga can be defined as a discipline which includes different bodily postures as well as breath control techniques. The body postures are known as 'asanas'. Yoga inversion is a type of yoga, which comprises asanas which are done by lifting the legs over the head. The Shirshasana or headstand is a perfect example of yoga inversion. The popularity of yoga all over the world is due to the numerous health benefits associated with it.
What are Yoga Inversions
Yoga, in general, is carried out because it helps in improving the physical and mental strength and enhances flexibility, hence, helps in maintaining the overall health. Secondly, yoga is one of the best and the most effective stress reducing techniques. Along with meditation, yoga is also used to improve concentration. In case of yoga inversion, the head is at the base, and half the lower body or the entire lower body is above the head. This way, the heart is above the head. Yoga inversions are difficult to perform when compared to the ordinary yoga postures.
Health Benefits of Inversions in Yoga
With yoga inversions or inverted yoga, the principle of gravity and body's relationship to it is changed. This helps in treatment of several diseases and disorders. The following are some of the uses or health benefits of inverted yoga.
- Inversions in yoga helps in improving blood circulation. When the body is upside down, the heart pumps blood vigorously which leads to increase of oxygen supply to the brain. Therefore, there is a proper blood circulation to all parts of the body. This helps in treatment and prevention of diseases caused due to poor blood circulation like varicose veins, etc.
- Now, along with blood circulation, the flow of internal fluids is also stimulated due to the upside down position. This helps in cleansing and detoxifying the body.
- Yoga inversions help in clearing off the lactic acid built up in the body. Due to the inverted position, the lactic acid gets flushed out, which helps in treating muscles cramps and pain.
- As mentioned above, inverted yoga is very difficult to perform. However, just like strength training, inverted yoga helps in toning muscles of arms, legs, abdomen, etc.
- Inversion yoga benefits also include treatment and prevention of back pain. Pinched nerves and compressed discs are some of the most common causes of back pain in people. This occurs due to gravity. But, these discs can be separated through the inverted yoga positions. Therefore, back pain can be reduced to a great extent by undertaking inverted yoga.
- As mentioned above, there is an increased flow of blood in the brain due to inverted positions. This brings about a calming effect and can help in reducing stress. This can also treat the irritation caused due to hormonal changes.
- Lastly, yoga inversions are also carried out by a large number of people as they help in improving the posture.
Although there are a large number of advantages of performing inverted yoga, it is recommended that you should consult the doctor before trying it. These postures are difficult and should be avoided by people having high blood pressure or other chronic disorder, and by women during their monthly periods. However, if followed properly and under the guidance of the doctor, inverted yoga can really prove to be very beneficial. Take care!