So, the pizzas, burgers, French fries and sodas have done their trick? You have piled on kilos and now you are unable to wear some of your favorite dresses? Well, it's never too late to shape up! Simply scroll down and have a look at these weight loss tips. Follow these tips and soon you will see those extra pounds on your body melting away.
You would be surprised to know that water actually aids in weight loss! Water is instrumental in removal of wastes and toxins from the body. It maintains the proper functioning of the liver, an organ which helps in converting fats into energy. Moreover, water acts as an appetite suppressant. If you drink a glass of water fifteen minutes before a meal, you would observe that your food intake goes down a bit. Looking at all these benefits, drinking two to three liters of water everyday is a must if one wants to lose weight.
To achieve fast weight loss, taking a balanced diet is very important. Diets that work fast are those which supply the right amount of essential nutrients and vitamins to the body, including fiber, proteins, carbohydrates, calcium and iron.
- Complex carbohydrates such as those found in oatmeal, cereals, brown rice, brown bread, beans and lentils, should be consumed everyday, especially at breakfast as they keep the body energetic throughout the day.
- Proteins aid in building muscles. As a teenager's body is still in the growing phase, protein-rich healthy foods, such as lean meats, fish, eggs, spinach and broccoli, are a must in the diet.
- Fiber rich foods such as papayas, broccoli, prunes, apples, etc. aid in weight loss. These foods keep the body full for a long time and thus, a person's overall food intake goes down. Another reason why teens aiming for weight loss should eat fiber rich foods is that they remove the wastes from the body, which would have otherwise accumulated as fats.
- Fruits and vegetables should form a major part of a teen's diet. They are rich in many vitamins and nutrients and the best part is that they have fewer calories. Easy weight loss can be achieved if two-thirds of the daily diet is made up of fruits and vegetables.
Foods to Give Up
There are certain foods that should be completely eliminated from the diet, such as, aerated drinks, fast foods, fried foods, high sugar foods like cakes and pastries, processed foods, high caffeine foods and beverages like chocolate, tea and coffee. If you cannot give them up, at least their intake should be limited to the minimal.
For any weight loss plan to be successful, dietary changes should be combined with a regular exercise regimen. The exercise routine should comprise cardiovascular exercises such as swimming, running, walking, aerobics or dancing, weight training, resistance training and flexibility exercises. If you are really serious about your weight loss goals, preferably exercise under a professional trainer. He will be in a better position to make a customized exercise schedule for you depending upon your body shape.
Some Other Tips
- Take five small meals rather than three big meals in a day.
- Snack on nuts and fruits. Give up chips and cookies.
- Do not skip the breakfast. Your breakfast should be the heaviest meal of the day.
- Have dinner two to three hours before sleeping. Always take a light dinner. This will aid in better digestion.
- As far as possible, stick to homemade food. Avoid eating out or eating packaged food.
- Eat your food slowly. Chew it properly so that it gets digested easily.
- Undertake stress management by doing meditation, yoga and breathing exercises. As teenage can be a very taxing and traumatic time, undertaking these stress management techniques will benefit both the mind and body of a teen.
- Increase your physical activities. Walk, instead of driving. Take stairs instead of the elevator. Watch less TV. Help in household chores. By doing this, you will be burning a lot of calories, resulting in weight loss
If these tips are followed religiously, a fitter, leaner and healthy body is one dream that is sure to come true for many. One last tip before I sign off - Teens should stay away from fad diets or cutting down on their food intake to lose weight. These are temporary, unhealthy solutions, which can prove to be detrimental to the body in the long run. Remember, when it comes to losing weight, taking a healthy, balanced diet and exercising everyday is the key!