To maintain optimum health, doctors advise to perform at least 20 minutes of exercise everyday. There are many people for whom to take out this much time in a day is difficult. While there are some who are not even motivated to do a physical activity for only 20 minutes. Exercise is very important part of keeping healthy. Exercise helps to maintain your heart and lungs healthy. Hence, there is so much stress on cardio. It keeps your weight in control and prevents illnesses like diabetes. Also, it keeps your energy level high as it increases the amount of oxygen in the body and helps to circulate the blood throughout the body.
However, there are many people who complain of certain health problems associated with exercise. One of the most common is fatigue. Many people also tend to complain about muscle pain. While certain people complain about lightheadedness while some about headache. It's not just important to maintain the right form and follow a right technique while working out, but one needs to take other measures also when starting on a physical activity.
Headache and Fatigue Post Workout
Listed below are various causes which can lead to fatigue and headache after a workout.
- Electrolyte Imbalance: Many times electrolyte imbalance in the body can make you easily tired. Hence, it is suggested to keep sipping electrolytic solution while working out.
- Menopause: Many women during their menopause tend to feel tired and want to lie down all the time. Also, they experience headaches. So, it is possible that you might be getting tired and headaches due to the menopause.
- Lack of Warm-up: Lack of warm before workout can cause muscle spraining. Though, this is not serious problem and goes away after few days, it still can give slight fever to a person. It is also accompanied with muscle pain and fatigue.
- Improper Diet: Lack of diet is one of the common cause associated with problems arising after exercise. So, if you are not having enough protein and other nutrients, then you are using too much of energy from the body while working out which deplete your energy level and leave you tired. Many times lack of balanced diet can also trigger headaches.
- Lack of Exercise: If you been out of shape and not worked out for quite a long time, and suddenly have taken up on a workout routine, then it is possible that you will get tired easily. This will keep happening till you have enough stamina to do the workout.
- Abnormal Thyroid Function: This is one of the major cause of muscle fatigue. Apart from muscle fatigue it can trigger constipation, depression, weakness, etc.
- Overexertion: If you are overexerting yourself during a workout and not taking enough breaks or sipping water then it can lead to fatigue and headache. Hence, it is advised to cut down on your exercise duration.
- Improper Sleep: Not getting enough rest in a day's time could also be a cause contributing to fatigue and headache. So, exercise will only make these symptoms worse. Hence, make sure that you get adequate 8 hours sleep in 24 hours.
- Apart from the above causes there could be other conditions which can make a person tired and give headache post workout. Some other causes of fatigue and headaches are sleep apnea, anemia, type 2 diabetes, dehydration, overheating, etc.
It is possible that you may not know that you have a condition which is making you tired and giving you headaches after exercise. If you suspect that it could be a specific condition, then seek medical help. Consult your family physician. The doctor will ask you questions regarding exercise, diet, your previous medical records, etc. The doctor might also suggest you to take some tests. After this the doctor will be able to diagnose the condition, and recommend the appropriate treatment for it. With the treatment you will be able to continue your workout as it used to be, or with some modifications.