Excess of anything is bad, and that applies to body weight as well. Being overweight makes one susceptible to many health problems, but that's also true in case of people who are underweight.
While genetics might be behind low body weight in otherwise healthy individuals, weight loss might sometimes be triggered by thyroid disorders, celiac disease, gastroenteritis, Crohn's disease, diabetes, malnutrition, peptic ulcers, etc.
People whose body mass index (BMI) is way lower than the normal range should seek medical help for identifying the underlying cause of unexplained weight loss at the earliest.
Contributing Factors for Being Underweight
- Genetic make-up
- Fast metabolism
- Burning more calories due to being physically active
- Undernourishment due to a poor diet
- Metabolic abnormalities
Tips for Gaining Weight
- Follow a balanced diet. Your diet should comprise 60-70% carbohydrates, 15-20% proteins, and small amount of fats, vitamins, and minerals.
- If you feel full too early and are not able to eat in sufficient amounts, then try to include foods that are comparatively higher in calories. For example, have boiled eggs instead of baked potatoes, raisins instead of grapes, etc.
- Make sure that the food items you eat don't have a high fat and sugar content. This will help you in gaining weight in a healthy manner, and prevent you from becoming obese.
- Eat your meals on a particular time everyday. This boosts the digestive system, which eventually helps in weight gain.
- Do not drink water or beverages at least half an hour before every meal. This will increase your intake of food, which is necessary to gain weight.
- Drink mixed fruit juice in place of juice extracted from a single fruit. This packs more calories in the same quantity.
- Eat a small snack after 8:00 p.m. The reason is that the body is at rest at night, and thus tends to store calories from food items that are consumed at night.
- Compound exercises are those exercises that put stress on lots of muscle fibers. Initially, groups of muscles get damaged. The body repairs them and adds more muscle mass in that body part. This, in turn, results in weight gain. Squats, military presses, and leg presses are some examples of compound exercises.
- Do not perform cardiovascular exercises till you gain the desired weight, as they make your body burn more calories, and that too at a faster rate. A few examples of cardiovascular examples are swimming, cycling, running, and aerobic exercises.
On a concluding note, follow a balanced diet to stay healthy. Do follow the given remedies or measures. If these don't help, it's advisable to consult a nutritionist, who can guide you regarding the food items you should eat.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is solely for educating the reader. It is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a medical expert.