Hula hooping has remained a popular fun activity although innumerable new games and weight loss equipment have been discovered in the last century. Several games can be designed with one simple hula hoop. These games test your coordination skills and agility. Children can learn hand-eye coordination, working with partners and sequencing, with the help of hula hoop.
Interesting Hula Hoop Facts
- Various evidence show that children in ancient times used to play with large hoops of grape vines, bamboos and stiff grass. Although hula hoop as a toy was manufactured commercially in the late 1950s, hula hooping had been enjoyed by our ancestors in various parts of the world, since thousands of years.
- Medical history of England shows that hooping was popular among kids and adults during the fourteenth century. Available medical reports show that doctors had mentioned 'hooping' as the cause of slip disk, dislocated backs, and even heart attacks.
- Hula dancing is a popular style of dancing in the Hawaiian islands. Historical records show that during the 18th century, when British sailors visited the Hawaiian islands, they noticed the resemblance between hula dancing and hooping. This is how, the phrase 'hula hooping' was coined.
- In 1948, the company Wham-O was established by two friends Knerr and Melin, in a small garage. Initially, they used to manufacture slingshots, but in 1958 they started manufacturing brightly colored plastic hoops. Before that, in 1957, an Australian company had started manufacturing wood rings for hula hooping.
- Knerr and Melin themselves did demonstrations on playgrounds, and as a result, the product enjoyed an instant success. They succeeded in selling twenty five million hula hoops in four months!
- Surprisingly, hula hoops were banned in Japan since 'hula hooping' (hip rotation) was considered as an obscene action! Russia also prohibited hula hooping as the communists thought that it represented futile American culture!
- Hula hooping is still enjoyed during carnivals, festivals and in show-parades worldwide. Stage artists, including clowns and comedians, still perform hula hoops. Viewers are always impressed by the humorous skits presented by these artists. Viewers often remain spellbound after observing their excellence in handling the hula hoops.
- Hula hoops are made of plastic, wood or metal. These days, hula hoops filled with water are available in market. Glittering, noise making hula hoops enhance the excitement, and are therefore gaining popularity all over the world.
- Adults prefer stronger, larger and heavier hoops for fitness and fun. These hula hoops help lose fat around the arms, abdomen, buttocks, legs and waist. They help shape your body.
- Hula hoops are swung around the waist, legs or arms. The skill can be acquired within a few minutes. Hula hoops can also be rolled with your hands or you can use a stick to roll them. Hula hoop exercise routines offer several health benefits.
- According to many fitness trainers, hula hooping helps train thirty muscles! You don't have to go to a gym if you enjoy hula hooping regularly. Hula hooping improves your blood circulation, healing process, concentration, muscle tone, flexibility, coordination and dexterity significantly.
- You lose calories while hula hooping, and thus you can maintain your weight within the normal range for your height. Those who don't have time to go to a gym due to busy schedule, can try this at home itself.
- Hula hoop competitions are held in all parts of the world. Not only participants but viewers also are energized during these competitions. To learn hula hoop skills, beginners should use large hoops. Smaller hoops require more skills and practice.
- If the question 'how to determine an appropriate hula hoop size for learning' is lingering in your mind, then here is the answer. Stand straight and ask someone to measure the distance from the ground to a point slightly below your diaphragm (consider the point between your chest and belly button). You can select a hula hoop of a width matching the above measurement, for learning hula hoop skills.
I hope those who love reading hula hoop facts enjoy hula hooping regularly. Hula hooping helps refresh your mind as it improves your physical and mental qualities.