Every individual's body type and structure is different. Therefore, exercises have to be planned according to the body structure. Oblique exercises are way training the oblique area of the body, which includes the oblique muscles, that are located on either side of the abdomen. Following the regime of certain best oblique exercises can help in toning your body. To get the right posture and even tone every part of the muscle, these exercises have variations. Some of the good and effective forms of exercises are side bends, crunches and bicycle kick. If done in right form, these exercises can give you the right body posture and shape.
Before taking up any form exercises at home or gym, it is important to know the exercise and the potential of your body to perform the exercise. Take some precaution to avoid any injuries and prolonged pains.
- Warm up: The body has to be ready to start the regular exercise. In order to prepare your body for the exercise, take up some of the warm up exercises. Some of the common warm up exercises are hopping, pendulum bending, neck movements, hand rotations and more. These basic physical exercises will set your muscles in motion and prepare them to get ready for any body building exercise. Ignoring warm up sessions will only lead to injuries, which will result into further damage of your health.
- Posture of Exercising: This is an important aspect while performing any exercise. Many people think the more you exercise the quicker will be its result. However, more than focusing on the number of sets you perform, it is important to pay attention on how you perform any exercise. Maintaining the right posture will save you from sprains and muscle pulls.
- Keeping a Diet: Sometimes, feeding the body just before starting an exercise can make you feel dizzy and sour. Eat at least 45 minutes or 1 hour before commencing with exercise. Also, put your self into a habit of eating a healthy diet that also suits your workout regime.
As we have seen some of the important tips before starting any exercise, let's take a look at procedures of performing these exercises.
Crunches are among the commonly performed exercises. Regarded as the best form of exercises, these work well to shape the oblique area and the abdomen muscles. There are many forms in crunches to build and strengthen every part of the muscle. Side crunches, oblique crunches and oblique floor crunch are some of the common exercises that are suitable for both men and women, which can be performed at home too.
- Side Crunch: These crunches help to tone the muscles on either side of the abdomen. To attain the perfect body shape, many people add these crunches in their workout regime. To begin with, lie on your back with your knees bent. Face to your left side and support your neck with your right hand. Spread your left hand perpendicular to your head and with its support lift your upper body, maintaining the posture. Keep your legs straight and rooted to the floor. As you lift your body, stay for a second and gradually lower your body. Do not rush, performing side crunches and keep the movement slow. Repeat this in sets of 15 repetitions each. If you are a beginner, plan the sets according to the potential of your body. Keep the number of sets equal for each side of the abdomen.
- Oblique Crunches: These crunches focus on upper abs and obliques. In order to perform this exercise, lie on your back cross the right foot over the left knee. Support your neck with both the hands or by one keeping one hand perpendicular to your head. While lifting the body, keep your back pressed to the ground for a firm grip. While you lift the upper body, twist it diagonally towards the right knee. Contract the obliques while you raise the upper body and release it while coming back to the original position. Repeat the 2-3 sets of 15-16 repetitions on each side.
- Oblique Floor Crunches: This is another type of effective oblique crunches which is performed on the floor. Lie down on your back and bend your knees. Keep both your hands behind the neck. Keep the back firm on the ground and slowly pull your upper body and twist it towards your right knee and then to your left knee. Continue performing the exercise in 2-3 sets with 15 repetitions in each.
However, every time you pull up your upper body, keep the chin straight to maintain a straight back. Always keep your back pressed to the ground to for a firm grip. Incorrect posture, will result in too much flexibility in movement and result into muscle pull, tear and even injuries.
These also come in different forms and are safe to perform at home. They can performed by lying on the floor or even using weights.
- Ankle Side Bends: Here is how you can perform Side Bends by lying on the floor. Lie on your back and bed your knees. Keep your both hands on either side of your body. Slightly raise your shoulder off the floor, contracting your abdominal muscles. Slowly bend on your right side and try to hold your right ankle and come back to the center. Move to your left and try to hold the left ankle and come back to the center. Keep the head and chin straight but must be in a comfortable position to avoid any stretches. Try to reach out to your foot, in case, you want to increase the difficulty level.
- Side Bend: Side bend works on your internal and external obliques, Quadratus Lumborum and Erector Spinae. They can be performed by using weights too. Stand with distance in between the legs. Keep the knees a little bent. Hold the hands on the hips and keep it firm on the either side of the abdomen. Gradually bend from your hips towards your feet. Try to bend as low as possible to attain maximum pull. Come back slowly to the center and bend on the other side. You can also hold the dumbbells in each hand and bend on the either side of your body.
This exercise increases the flexibility and strengthens the abdominal muscles.
- Lie on your back and bend your knees at a right angle pointing your thighs upwards.
- Support your neck by both hands.
- Imitate the bicycling movement by moving the legs back and forth.
- Move your torso towards the knee that bends during the movement.
These exercises are safe and comfortable to perform. So don't hesitate anymore, and take up the exercises mentioned here, and achieve the perfect toned body that you have always wanted.