If you have been to the gym, you would have seen a stair climber in the cardio section alongside the treadmill and cross trainer. With this equipment, the range of motion imitates the body's movement when climbing the stairs, thereby working the hip, thigh, and glute muscles. For any cardio routine to be effective, you need to work out for at least 30 - 40 minutes.
If you can't exercise for this duration, you need to slowly work yourself up to this mark. If you plan to use the stair climber, work out for 10 - 15 minutes on a high intensity setting. Take a 1 - 2 minute break before getting on for another 15 - 20 minute session. Another way to exercise is to start your workout on a low intensity setting for 3 - 5 minutes, and then increase the level for the next 12 - 15 minutes. After that, you can work out for 10 - 12 minutes on a high intensity setting.
- If a person weighing 200 lbs performs a workout for 30 minutes, he could burn around 300 calories. This figure is not conclusive, but give a fair idea about the effectiveness of this routine.
- This equipment is good, if you want to work out the muscles of the lower body. It will certainly prove beneficial, as the range of motion requires the user to push the pedals down using the legs. This motion helps stimulate the hip and thigh muscles.
- This is a low impact exercise as the movement of the legs is supported by the pedals unlike other cardio exercise equipment like the treadmill. The treadmill is a high-impact motion and can be little strenuous for the joints.
- The muscles worked include the hamstrings, glutes, quadriceps, and calf muscles.
- The stance on the machine requires you to keep your spine erect, while you move your legs. This will help you improve your posture and also strengthen your lower back muscles.
- It increases the heart rate and is known to increase the metabolism rate of the body. Unlike popular belief, the body does not stop burning fat when you finish the exercise. It will burn fat even after the workout by increasing the metabolism rate.
- This is the best equipment to tone your buttock muscles. The constant up and down movement of the legs will stimulate the muscles, toning your butt in the process.
One has the option to work out at different settings. A stair climber workout will also assist in your endurance training goals, as one has the option to adjust the intensity level to the 'Hill' setting.