Excess weight in the body is every girls nightmare, especially since body fat tends to accumulate around the abdomen, buttocks, and thighs. While there are many exercises for the abdomen and buttocks, there aren't many for thighs.
Following are a few exercises that will not only tone up thigh muscles but also strengthen them. Before you start your workout, ensure you have done a proper warm-up. Jog at a mild pace for 10 minutes. You will start sweating mildly. You can also do a bit of mild stretching if you want. After this, you can start your cardio.
Alternatively, you can do a jump rope workout. Jump rope workout is one of the most effective workouts to lose weight. Make sure you wear good trainers and the floor you skip on is not uneven.
Start with a few light skips. This can be done without the rope as well. Swing the rope forward and keep lightly jumping the rope. Your skips should be only a couple of inches above the ground.
Start with 50 skips, then take a break, and do few more sets. Once you build up stamina, you can do 100 skips in one go and many sets to follow.
After you are done with cardio, start with following exercises mentioned. These target the thigh muscles. Finally, cool down with some stretches.
- To perform squats, stand straight and your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Keeping your back in an upright position, inhale, and lower yourself to a sitting position.
- Exhale as you move back to the standing position.
- Do 2 sets of 15 reps each.
- Gradually increase the number of sets.
You can add intensity to the workout by holding a weighted bar on your shoulder or carrying lightweight dumbbells in each hand.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and knees slightly bent.
- Now, place one foot forward and slowly lower the whole body, bending both the knees as shown in the picture on the right.
- Gradually lower yourself further until your front thigh is parallel to the ground. Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Return to the standing position.
- Do 15 reps, then switch sides and do 15 reps with the other leg.
- That was one set. Repeat one more set.
- Lay on your left side and place your hands on the floor for balance, as shown in the picture on the right.
- Now, lift your right leg and hold for few seconds.
- Gradually lower the leg, and lift it again.
- Do 15 reps, then change sides and repeat.
- This was one set. Repeat one more set.
As a beginner, start by lifting the leg at a 45 degree angle and then gradually lift it a bit more aiming at a 90 degree angle.
Stability Ball Leg Lifts
- Lay on your right side and hold the ball between the ankles, as shown in the picture on the right.
- You may bend the knees slightly for a better hold on the ball and place the hand on the floor for balance.
- Lift both legs off the floor a couple of inches, and squeeze the ball until you feel stress in your inner thigh.
- Hold the position for a few seconds and lower the ball.
- Do 15 reps, then lie down on your left side and 15 reps.
- Repeat one more set.
Outer Thigh Stretch
This is one of the most effective and most used stretch exercises for thighs. Popularly known as the quadriceps stretch, it helps to target the outer thigh muscles.
- Stand straight with your feet a few inches apart.
- Now bend your left leg and bring it as close to the butt as possible.
- You can hold your foot with your left hand, as displayed in the picture.
- Hold the stretch for 10 - 30 seconds. Release and repeat with the other leg.
- You can do 2 - 3 sets of this stretch.
There are many variations of this stretch. Instead of performing the stretch while standing, many tend to lie down on their stomach on a mat and then then do this stretch. While some tend to take a support of a chair or wall while performing the standing stretch.
Some people tend to do this stretch while standing; however, it is a bit tedious to perform this stretch while standing because it is difficult to balance the body in this position for a long time.
Thigh exercises will be highly effective if done regularly. To get well-toned thighs, one need not hit the gymnasium or buy expensive equipment. Without equipment, these exercises will yield the same results. The only thing needed to get those strong, shapely thighs is determination and just an hour's workout, four times a week.