So all the fat has begun to collect around your waist, and those ugly love handles are starting to show when you wear your favorite pair of jeans. You are not alone, as lots of people are trying to tackle and get rid of all this unwanted fat. Here are some of the best waist exercises, that will help you achieve that dreamy figure you've also wanted.
Exercises For Love Handles
The following exercises can easily be performed as they require no equipment. They will not only help shrink your waist, but will also help strengthen your abdominal muscles. Remember to keep your tummy sucked in while performing these exercises. Also ensure that you take a 20-30 second break between each set.
The Oblique Bridge and Standard Plank
- Lie on your side on an exercise mat, and prop up your upper body with the help of your elbow.
- Maintain your legs together, and only lift your torso off the floor, ideally at a 45 degree angle. Ensure that your legs and elbows remain on the floor, to support your body.
- Try to keep the rest of your body, apart from the midsection, as straight as you can, and remain in this position for up to 10 counts. Repeat this exercise thrice on each side for best results.
Follow this exercise with the other exercise mentioned here.
- Lie flat on your stomach, and prop up your upper body with the help of both your elbows, extended alongside you.
- Hold your feet together, and rest them on your toes, like you would do while performing push ups.
- Again, lift your torso off the ground, ideally at a 45 degree angle.
- Remain in this position for up to 10 counts, and perform three sets of this exercise.
The Bicycle Kick
- Lie flat on your back in a straight position, with your legs placed together.
- Support your neck by placing both your hands behind it, and lift your legs up to a 90 degree angle.
- Now, start moving your legs in a bicycle pedal-pushing motion.
- Perform at least 50 repetitions of this waist exercise, which you may increase once you are comfortable doing it.
- Now, place your other hand behind your head and move your knees forward, in a 90 degree angle, towards your chest.
- Contract on the side facing the ceiling, while performing this routine. Hold this position for a seconds, and repeat it at least 12 times for the desired effect.
The Scissor Foot
- Lie flat on your back with your legs together, and prop up your upper body on your elbows, ideally at a 45 degree angle.
- Next, lift your legs together, at a 45 degree angle.
- Hold your body in this position, and begin the exercise, by moving your feet over and under each other, continuously, for about 8 counts.
- Perform at least 2 sets of this exercise daily.
The Standing Twist
- Stand straight with shoulder width distance between your legs.
- Hold your arms up, at a 90 degree angle, alongside your chest.
- Slowly, twist your upper body towards the right, and lift your right knee to met your left elbow. Lower your knee and bring your body back into its original position.
- Now, perform this same routine towards the left. This exercise should be performed in an alternate manner.
- Perform at least 12 repetitions of this exercise, for 2-3 sets.
Exercises with Dumbbells
Sometimes, dumbbell exercises are more effective in losing all the fat around your waist and achieving that perfect figure. Try out some of these exercises with weights and notice the difference yourself.
The Side Bend
- Stand straight, with shoulder width distance between your legs. Keep the knees slightly bent.
- Hold a weight you are comfortable with, in the right hand, and place your left hand behind your head.
- Slowly bend to your right, till you can feel the muscles along the length of your body on the left, stretch.
- Come back to your original position and repeat this exercise for up to 12-15 counts, for two sets on either side.
The Seated Twist
- Sit on the floor, with your knees slightly bent towards your body. Keep the heels on the floor, with the toes facing the ceiling.
- Hold dumbbells of a comfortable weight (say 5 pounds to begin with) in both your hands.
- Now, twist your upper body to the right, feeling your oblique muscles on the left stretch.
- Come back to the original position, and twist your body to the left.
- Perform this exercise in alternate movements, at least 20 times, for 2-3 sets.
The effectiveness of any of these waist exercises, depends on their intensity. It is important that you increase the number of repetitions and sets regularly, over a period of time.
Do not push yourself to the point of physical discomfort. However, a little strain is necessary for the exercise to have the right effect on your body. A daily routine of these exercises, combined with the right diet, will eliminate those ugly love handles, and give you a slim waist.
Disclaimer: Always consult a physician before starting any physical fitness program in order to reduce the risk of injury.