Aerobics is not only a fun exercise, but also helps to burn calories fast. Let us look at some basic aerobic dance moves.
Aerobic dance classes are a great way to keep in shape. Although the coordination exercises might seem difficult, they can easily be grasped by looking at the instructor in the class. Just wear some track pants, a t-shirt, good sport shoes, and be ready for the aerobics class. If you are a beginner, make sure you inform your instructor so that you can start from the basic aerobic dance exercises. Listed below are some of the most common and basic dance moves, which are used in aerobics classes.
This is an easy-to-perform move, where you just have to lift your knee as high as you can, at least till your waist. The counts depend on the instructor. This is similar to the hamstring curl, where you have to step with one foot, and lift the heel outwards towards your butt.
This is a fun dance move, which needs slightly more practice and coordination, as you need to kick very high. You have to step with one foot and kick with the other leg. You will learn more varieties of kicks in the class.
For this stepping workout, move one foot forward, pointing outwards. Then move the second foot forward, pointing outwards. This will form a V shape. Again repeat the same procedure. Sometimes, the instructor will ask you to move your lead leg for 4 counts, and then the other for 4 counts.
This is a simple dance step, where you have to step forward and back, then forward and back using the same foot, till the instructor changes the move.
For grapevine exercises, step with your lead foot to the side, then move the other foot behind it to cross, then again move the lead foot to the side and move other foot behind it. Then the movement goes to the other side, and the exercise is repeated for 8 counts.
Here are some tips on aerobic dancing, which you can use in your workouts.
- Make sure you warm up well before you start your workout. Even if you are late for your class, don’t jump in the aerobic dancing, always warm up to prevent any injury or muscle soreness. The warm-up routine can be a mild jogging session of 7-10 minutes.
- It is possible to do an aerobic dance workout at home; all you need are some home tutorials, a step platform, and aerobic dance music, which can be a selection of good high and fast beat music, like a mix of hip hop, trance, or house.
- As a beginner, first try to imitate your instructor’s movements, and ignore the instructions to get the coordination and moves right.
- Make sure you keep drinking plenty of water through the day, to prevent dehydration.
- If you like dancing, then look for classes which are a mix of aerobic and a dance form, like aerobics and hip hop.
These basic aerobic dance steps and tips should help you get started at least. Dance and work out at the same time, and get fit in a fun way!