This article provides some simple exercises for strengthening the neck muscles, which would help in getting rid of the pain and other related problems. Further, it includes some exercises for babies as well.
Strengthening the neck muscles is important to avoid stiffness and pain in the same. Neck strengthening exercises not only prevent the problems associated with the same, but also help to tone these muscles and increase the range of motion. Moreover, they add flexibility to the neck muscles and reduce the chances of getting a cervical muscle sprain or strain. Also, one should perform them for better posture and flexibility of the body. Here are some of them that may prove useful.
- Stand in an upright position and place your palms on your forehead. Your palms should cover your forehead completely.
- Now, apply force in both the directions and resist the motion. Hold this position for 5 counts and then repeat it 3 more times.
- It can also be performed by placing the palms on the back of the head.
- To perform this, you can sit straight in a chair or stand in an upright position.
- Now, place your head in a neutral position and then place your left palm on your left temple.
- Push your head and left palm against each other and hold the position for 5 counts.
- Resist the motion by applying force in both the directions and then repeat the same for the right side.
- This not only strengthens the neck muscles but it also reduces the problem of double chin.
- With a shoulder-width distance between your feet, stand in an upright position.
- Now, tilt your head back, join your palms together, and place your thumbs under your chin.
- Apply force by your neck muscles to push down the thumbs. Hold the position for 5 counts and do 3 more repetitions.
- Stand in an upright position or sit in a chair as tall as possible.
- Now, look straight ahead and gently tuck your chin as if you are giving a double chin appearance. Hold this position for 10 counts and then relax your neck muscles.
- Repeat it for 10 more times.
- Stand in a straight position and keep a shoulder-width distance between your feet.
- Now, keep your hand on your buttocks and keep them crossed to each other.
- Tilt your head forward and look towards the floor or your toes.
- Tuck your chin in the upper part of your chest. You will feel a stretch in the back muscles of your neck.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds and repeat the same 3 more times.
Neck exercises are also important for babies as they have weak neck muscles. These are also necessary to avoid the risk of developing torticollis or twisted neck. Torticollis is a health condition wherein the head is tilted to one side and chin is elevated and turned down to the opposite side. A baby may be affected with this condition, if its head is tilted to one side constantly. Here are some exercises that can help.
- Carefully turn the baby’s head and touch the chin to the left shoulder.
- Make sure that you place your other hand on the baby’s chest to maintain stability. Hold this position for 5 counts and then repeat for the right side.
- Place one hand of yours on the baby’s chest.
- Now, gently turn the baby’s head towards the left side, so that the left ear of the baby touches its left shoulder. Hold the position for 5 counts and then repeat the same for the right side.
Many of us avoid including these exercises in our daily regime and hence, have to experience pains and sprains associated with the same. Following and performing the aforementioned exercises on a daily basis, might prove beneficial to get rid of such problems.
Disclaimer : This article is for informative purposes only. Always consult a physician before starting any physical fitness program in order to reduce the risk of injury.