Among the numerous weight loss methods, sauna is preferred by many. Learn some easy sauna weight loss tips in this article, and increase your fat burning ability.
Before getting into the sauna weight loss tips, let’s understand the meaning of ‘sauna’. A sauna is defined as a room or enclosure where a person can experience dry heat bath sessions (the enclosure is generally made of wood). It has its origin in Finland, and the Finns used it as a means for recreation and mind healing. In conventional saunas the heat was generated from heated rocks (water was poured over the rocks to create the steam).
Later, many modifications were made and then came infra red saunas which make use of infrared lamps to generate the required heat. Saunas offer lots of health benefits. They help in detoxification of the body, improving blood circulation, boosting the immune system, relieving joint pain, and last but not least, soothing the mind, etc. They have a rich history; the Finns and many other cultures used it as a means of recreation thousands of years ago. You all must be wondering if saunas help with weight loss? The answer is yes! One can definitely experience weight loss in a sauna, if one keeps some tips in mind.
How Does a Sauna Work for Weight Loss?
A sauna is based on the use of heat to provide the benefits, be it weight loss or just recreation. The increased temperature levels lead to extreme sweating, and the sweating is used as a means of healing in the sauna. The skin is the largest organ of the body, and the harmful toxins in the body are eliminated through the skin pores. The sweat generated in a sauna helps in carrying the toxins out of the body, and restores the skin’s elimination ability. Are you now wondering how to lose weight in a sauna?
It has been proven that regular use promotes weight loss, and it helps in burning around 200 calories per session. The heat and steam generated increases the heart rate. With an increase in the heart rate, the calories are burned due to increase in the metabolic rate, and the body also eliminates excess of salt in the body. Salt is largely responsible for the fat in the body. As salt is eliminated, it takes water with it, and this decreases the water weight. But remember that you will lose weight in a sauna only if you are consistent in your sessions and follow some tips.
Tips to Keep in Mind
1. How Often: You should visit the sauna at least two times a week (in the initial days), and should indulge in 30 minute sessions. You can later increase the sessions to alternate days.
2. What Temperature: If you are using the sauna in a spa or a gym, you don’t have to worry about the temperature. But if you have one at home, make sure the temperature is around 150 degrees F.
3. Diet: On most instances, it is seen that a person regains weight after the sessions end and the weight loss is temporary. So, follow a proper diet rich in fruits and low on junk.
4. Water Intake: A sauna session can lead to dehydration, as huge quantity of water in the body is lost due to sweating. So the trick is to drink lots of water before and after the session, and also during the session.
5. Alcohol Intake: One should avoid consuming alcohol before the session as this can this can impair the body’s ability to sweat (limit the consumption on a whole for an easygoing life!).
6. Don’t Overdo: No matter how desperate you are to lose weight, don’t overdo the sessions, and avoid going to the sauna if you are not feeling well.
7. Sauna Suits: With sauna suits you can skip sauna sessions, as the effect seen after one wears them is same as that seen in a sauna enclosure. Sauna suits make the body sweat and thus helps in reducing the pounds. Many people have benefited using these suits.
Who Should Avoid
Before you confirm the decision of using a sauna to lose weight, keep in mind the risks involved. Consult a health expert before using a sauna if you are a heart patient or suffer from any other kind of illness. Patients with infections and allergies are advised to stay away from public saunas, and use private ones (specially if the allergy or infection is contagious)
Doctors don’t recommend saunas for weight loss often, but people claim to have benefited by it. For people who don’t want to exercise, it is a good and easy option. So keep in mind the tips and enjoy the benefits of a sauna for mind relaxation, enviable skin, overall health, and detoxification, along with losing those extra pounds.