There are multiple reasons which have helped stability ball exercises to become popular. One of the more prominent of the reasons is weight loss, which can be achieved by exercising with it. Given below are a few exercises for women to be performed using the ball.
These exercise balls, also known as stability balls, physioballs, Swiss balls, etc. are large in size and are made up of vinyl. They are used to strengthen and stretch the body and also improve core stability and balance. According to a number of experts, exercise ball is one piece of essential exercise equipment for fitness. It is incredibly versatile, does not require a lot of space and is also low on investment. Most of the women exercise to tone themselves and not to build muscles as is the case with men. Using the exercise ball, women will be able to reach their goal faster.
There are a number of exercises for abs, exercises with weights, etc., which can be done using the Swiss ball. In this article, we will see the basic, yet the best stability ball exercises.
Exercise Ball Push Ups
All of us have heard about the many benefits of push ups. To me the most important benefit is the core strength it builds.
- Lie with abdomen down on an exercise ball and walk your hands forward on the floor till the ball rests under your thighs.
- Activate your core by pulling your navel towards your spine and bending your elbows.
- Lower your upper body towards the floor, till your chest is about to touch the floor, hold in the position for a few seconds.
- Then slowly straighten your elbows, but do not lock the elbows.
- When you are doing the exercise, your head should be in line with your spine and your abs should be engaged.
- You can do this exercise 8 to 12 times.
Exercise Ball Hamstring Curls
This is one of the effective exercises to work the hamstrings.
- Lie with your back on the floor and place the Swiss ball under your heels, while your palms are flat on the floor.
- Lift your hips a little and bend your knees and draw the ball towards your buttocks, but ensure you do not move your hips.
- Repeat the exercise 10 to 15 times.
Exercise Ball Crunches
Crunches are classic core exercise, but the crunches with the exercise ball are far more intense.
- Sit on the exercise ball and place your feet on the floor, but keep shoulder width distance between your feet.
- Keep your back straight and either support your neck with your hands or cross and place your hands on your chest.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles and slowly lean back, till you feel the muscles of the abdomen stretching.
- Hold for a few seconds and come back to the starting position and repeat the exercise 10 to 15 times.
Exercise Ball Squats
Squats rank among the top exercises for women. It is a compound and fat burning exercise, which helps in targeting the thighs, which is often a problem with a number of women.
- To do the squats, place the exercise ball between the lumbar spine and the wall. Press a little into the wall, so that the ball does not slide down.
- Keep shoulder width distance between your feet and place them a little in front of you.
- Slowly start bending your knees and lowering your torso till your thighs are parallel to the floor and your knees are over your ankles.
- When you go down the ball should remain at the lumbar spine itself.
- Come back to the starting position and repeat the exercise 10 to 12 times.
This is an effective abdominal exercise with dual benefits, as it works the upper as well as the lower abs.
- Lie on your back and hold an exercise ball between your shin bones. Lift your legs off the floor, so that the shin bones are parallel to the floor. Your hands should be placed next to your head.
- Lift your head, neck and shoulders off the floor and lift your legs and pass the ball into your hands.
- Come down, slowly come up again and this time grab the ball with your legs.
- Continue to pass the ball back and forth between your legs and hands 10 to 12 times.
Before you start doing the stability ball exercises, it is important, you warm yourself well. You can choose any cardiovascular exercise and only after a good 10 to 15 minutes warm-up, start with these exercises to improve your health and fitness.