The following article will take you through the basic concept of tantric yoga and try to dispel the doubts that you might have about it. Continue reading for more details.
Tantric yoga is often looked upon as a form of exercise that couples undertake in order to attain increased pleasure in the physical act of love making. But that is not what tantric yoga is. Even though attaining higher, more pleasurable forms of making love is one of the advantages of practicing this form of yoga, it is not the only reason why it is done. We need to first understand the concept of tantric yoga before getting into the varied yoga positions of this form. Continue reading for a more detailed understanding of this yoga form and why it is undertaken.
The Basics of the Form
Tantric yoga has at its base the need for realization of higher forms of consciousness of the human mind and soul―those which are not merely attained through sexual experiences. The basic tenet of yoga has always been, and continues to be, meditation and breathing exercises, though it also finds a medium in specific exercises. Tantric yoga does not in the least preach more advanced forms of sexual practices. Heightened forms of sexuality is only one approach of this stream of yoga and in some yogic texts, there is not even a mention of exploring sexuality. In fact, some of the yogic gurus of ancient India who practiced this yogic form were celibate their entire lives. Which just goes to show that tantric yoga is not what it is made out to be.
The Varied Positions
- For this yoga exercise, sit comfortably on a mat with your back straight and knees bent to allow the legs to fold.
- Start by exhaling completely. Hold for 4 seconds before breathing in.
- Breathe in so that you can feel the breath coming in to the abdomen and then filling up the chest.
- Hold the breath for 16 seconds and then exhale while counting to 8.
- While exhaling, exhale from the abdomen first and then feel the chest empty out.
- Repeat this process 10 times.
- For this technique, stand on all fours and exhale.
- Now, move back so that the buttocks are taken toward the feet and the hands are stretched out completely in the front.
- Take a deep breath in and hold the breath.
- At the same time, squeeze the anal muscles so that the opening is pulled inward.
- Then exhale and release the anal muscles.
- Maintaining the position, continue to do this 4-5 times.
- Relax completely, empty out your lungs, and rise.
- Stand on all fours and relax.
- Then take a deep breath in and pull yourself up with your arms so that they are completely stretched out.
- Your legs and thighs will be completely stretched out as well, and your body will form an inverted ‘V’ (as is seen in the image above).
- You need to feel a pressure in your shins. Experiment with the hands so that you can feel it.
- Look through your legs but with a relaxed head.
- To come back to the original position, simply get on all fours again.
- This is one of those tantric yoga positions that can be done by couples with their bottoms touching and their eyes meeting when they are looking through their legs.
These poses are the perfect choice for women because they help to correct hormonal imbalance (which is more rampant in women) and lead to better health.
Tantric yoga can be practiced by anyone, and most definitely should be. It is what will allow one to attain higher levels of consciousness and lead a healthier life.