Many people when trying to put on muscles, focus more on upper body muscles like chest and arms; while the back and legs are ignored. One of the back muscles is the trapezius muscle. Here are some trapezius exercises without weights that will help you focus more on your back.
There are certain trapezius exercises which involve no weights, however they are not as effective as the one which use weights. So, if you are thinking of getting ripped trapezius muscles without any weightlifting then you are mistaken. Barbell shrugs are one of the best trapezius workouts and have been used by athletes and weight-lifters to build traps. If you perform weightless shrugs then it will take lots of repetitions of the exercise till you feel something happening. So, using weights is a more effective way of training the trapezius muscles. Athlete train their trapezius muscles using weights to prevent any brachial plexus nerve injury. This gives them the no neck appearance. Also, well-built trapezius muscles are a sign of a person who lifts weights.
If you are not aiming at ripped trapezius, but just decently build and strong back then trapezius exercises without use of weights can help. You can tone up your traps using these exercises. These exercises mostly involve using one’s own body weight for training like pulling yourself up using a bar. Also, these traps workout will help you to train other muscles like arm and chest. Hence, you can combine your arms or chest workout day with trapezius training day too.
Trapezius Target Exercises without Weights
It is a common knowledge that any strength training workouts should be done after a warm up. Hence, you can consider doing 10-15 minute warm up before you do the following exercises. Warm up can be any mild exercise like jogging or speed walking.
Inverse Push Ups
These are different from the regular push ups and if done wrongly, can give you injuries. If you are beginner to strength training then make sure you do this workout in front of a trainer.
- Lie down on the floor with your knees bend and feet flat on the ground.
- Bend your hands and keep the palms flat on the floor.
- Now push yourself up, till your butt is off the floor.
- Slowly, make your upper back and chest in line your hands.
- Hold for a second and lower yourself down.
- This was one rep, perform 20 reps in one set. Then do one more set, after a minute.
Pull ups are endurance and strength building exercises, which make them one of the best exercises for upper body training without weights. Follow a proper technique and form when doing pull ups.
- Hold a sturdy bar with your palms. (Wear gloves to avoid slipping of hands.)
- Slowly, try to raise yourself up.
- Try to raise yourself till your chin is parallel or over the bar a bit.
- Then lower yourself down and repeat.
- Do 2 sets with 20 reps each.
This exercise is done without a barbell or dumbbells. Hence you will do at least 50 reps till you feel some strain on the muscles. So, do 50 reps each in two sets.
- Stand with shoulder width distance between both the feet.
- Position your hands at your sides.
- Now, dip your neck a bit in front.
- Raise yours shoulder in a shrugging position.
- Hold for 2-3 seconds and release.
This is a yoga pose which stretches the neck, upper back and lower back both. Doing the yoga pose regularly will help you also get rid of back pain. Use these steps to perform the cobra pose.
- Lie down on the floor on your stomach.
- Now, raise your upper body by using your hands.
- Keep your palms on the floor and raise your upper body.
- Now arch your back and look at the ceiling.
- Hold for 30 seconds and release.
- Do it 2 times again.
Following the exercises regularly will give you great looking diamond shaped trapezius which will strengthen your back and protect you from injuries. So, follow the right technique and do regular workout to get the best results.