Increasing the size of the chest is very essential for body builders. The following article discusses a few chest exercises that are helpful for building pectoral muscles.
The chest has two major muscles, one is the pectoralis major also called pecs, while the other is the pectoralis minor, which is located below pecs. There are many types of exercises which aim at developing the mass of these pectoral muscles. Some of the exercises are popular among gym goers because they not only increase the muscle mass in chest region, but also help in strengthening the muscles of the arms and shoulders. Following are some chest exercises that facilitate the growth of muscle mass.
Exercises to Work Your Chest
Bench press aims at strengthening the pecs. Along with pecs-triceps, serratus anterior, and anterior deltoids are also targeted.
- Lie back on a bench with the help of a barbell. The weight of the barbell should be adjusted according to your weight carrying capacity.
- Place the legs on the ground or at the end of the bench. The spine should remain straight and parallel to the horizontal plane of the bench.
- Place both the hands at an equal distance from the center of the barbell. Lift the barbells while keeping the elbows straight.
- Lower the barbells till the chest and after a brief pause, push the barbells back upwards.
In the beginning, do this exercise in three sets of twelve each. Gradually increase the weight and the sets.
This exercise aims at widening your shoulders by exercising the pectoral muscles.
- Lie on the back with dumbbells of desired weights in both the hands. Keep the arms on the sides of your body.
- Move the hands in such a manner that they are in level with the shoulders. Hold this position for about 20 seconds.
- Bring the hands over the chest, and wait for a few seconds to stretch the hands once again in earlier position.
Repeat this ten to twelve times in three sets. This is one of the best exercises for chest, as it strengthens the major muscles of upper chest.
For performing this exercise, you need to have a pec-dec machine.
- Hold the bars of the pec-dec machine with your hands, keeping the arms at the shoulder levels.
- Push the two bars towards each other.
Do this exercise in three sets of twelve repetitions each. Doing pec-dec along with bench press will form a best chest workout for mass building.
Pull ups can build up chest, lats, shoulders, abs, and even the back muscles. In short, it can provide a great amount of strength and stability to the entire upper body. Lateral chest muscles, which are popularly called wings, can be developed effectively with the help of this exercise.
- Grab the pull up bar with both the palms facing forwards. Suspend the body by means of extended arms.
- Lift the body until the face is raised above the bar.
- Slowly lower the body in the original position.
Here are the steps for performing this exercise:
- Lie down flat on the stomach with arms folded and palms facing down. Also extend your legs straight.
- Raise yourself above the ground, with feet pressed together. The hands should be directly under your shoulders, and your back must be straight.
- Slowly lower yourself to the ground by bending the elbows. Pause for a few seconds, and repeat it ten times.
Perform all the aforementioned exercises under the guidance of a expert trainer. The routine must be coupled with a well-balanced diet. Always remember to perform some stretching exercises before beginning any workout session. This will help to warm up the body and also lower the risk of muscle cramps and fatigue.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only. Always consult a physician before starting any physical fitness program in order to reduce the risk of injury.