Perform kegel exercises the right way in order to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. Read the Buzzle article to find instructions for both men and women.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only. Always consult a physician before starting any physical fitness program in order to reduce the risk of injury.
Named after Dr. Arnold Kegel, the kegel exercises work naturally in strengthening your pelvic muscles. You contract and relax your PC muscles that form the most important part of your pelvic floor. The exercises aid in bowel control and bladder issues, boost sexual pleasure, ease childbirth, and reduce menstrual cramps.
There are multiple benefits for women, with no side effects. Just follow these instructions correctly.
- First we need to find the PC muscles, and for that you need to lie flat on your back. Now squeeze your muscles around the anus and vagina as if you are trying to hold while urinating.
- This will help you train your PC muscles for kegel. Repetition is the key to any exercise, and same can be said about kegel. Repeat the exercise at least 3―5 times in a day, and do minimum 5 sets of 25 repetitions. Hold for just a second, and release the muscles. Avoid holding the muscles for too long.
- After a week or so, you can increase the intensity of the exercise by holding the contractions for 5―10 seconds. It’s perfectly alright if you can’t handle increased number of sets after a week. With more practice you can achieve your target.
- Once you are able to do more reps while increasing the contraction hold, you don’t even have to count how many reps are done or how many times a day you’re doing this exercise.
- You don’t need to find special time to do the exercises, as they can be done at any time during the day. Work those muscles while running errands, picking up kids from the school, grocery shopping, or while watching TV. The best part is, no one will ever find out that you are doing these exercises.
The exercises help prevent premature ejaculation, supports the organs closer to the pelvic area, and strengthens the back and stomach. Let’s take a look at the steps.
- To easily understand and find the muscle for the exercises, think of it as stopping the flow of urine. This is what is called PC muscles and that is what we are targeting. Men can do this exercise at any given point of time, such as work or while watching TV. Take a few deep breaths, and let’s begin.
- You will contract and hold the PC muscles for about 5 seconds. Release, and rest for 3 seconds. Now repeat this procedure 5 more times.
- You can perform the exercises maximum twice a day, every alternate days. You may increase the intensity by adding more reps to your exercises by doing them for complete 5 minutes.
- After a couple of weeks, you can also increase the time length of the contraction. Which means instead of holding it for 5 seconds, you can hold it for 10 seconds now. But don’t try to overdo it.
- The most important tip while doing the exercises is not to do them every day. Basically, the exercise is damaging your muscles, and when they start to repair itself, that’s what makes the PC muscles stronger.
Pay attention to your breathing while you are performing kegel. Make sure you are not holding your breath or moving from your position during the exercises. Correct your posture, keep breathing normally, relax yourself, and try again.