Kegel exercises are used to strengthen the pelvic muscles of the body. Kegel exercises for men can be useful for resolving many of their health issues like incontinence, premature ejaculation, and erectile dysfunction.
Kegel exercises are named after the man who invented them, i.e., Dr. Arnold Kegel. The exercises naturally strengthen the pelvic muscles. Although they are most commonly done by women, men can do them as well. They improve bladder control, which is important to get rid of incontinence in men. They also benefit patients of erectile dysfunction, and they also boost sexual pleasure by preventing premature ejaculation. They involve tightening and relaxing the muscles of the pelvis. They must be done regularly and correctly to strengthen the pelvic muscles.
Once you know the exact method, these exercises will be very easy for you to perform, and can be practiced anywhere and at anytime. Given below are some of the steps, which will help you understand them in a simpler way.
- Firstly, locate your pelvic muscles. This is most difficult, but the most important step. Performing the exercises on the wrong muscles will be a waste of time, and can lead to other health problems.
- For locating the correct pelvic muscles, stopping the flow of urine is an easy method. The muscles you use while stopping the flow of urine, are the pelvic muscles.
- Now, we come to the actual procedure, which involves squeezing and lifting your pelvic muscles. Hold this position for about 5 – 6 seconds in the beginning, and then gradually increase the time.
- Repeat this act two times a day.
- If you are contracting and holding the muscles for about 5 seconds, then rest for 3 seconds after releasing them. Repeat this procedure for about 5 times in one set.
- For best results, it should be performed every alternate day. You may increase the intensity by adding more repetitions, or increasing the time of contraction. If you are holding the muscles for 5 seconds, then you could increase it to 10 seconds.
- While you are doing the exercises, you must avoid contracting any other body parts, like the abdomen or thigh. Compressing the sphincter muscle instead of the pelvic muscles, can also cause more harm than good.
- If you are putting a lot of strain on the muscles by over doing the method, you may experience a lot of pain and discomfort in the pelvic region.
- Benefits of this program can be seen after 4 – 6 months. So do not expect quick results, and perform the exercises regularly.
- They can also be performed while masturbating or while having sex.
- The best part of this regime is that, you need not set aside a specific period, as this exercise can be performed anywhere, at anytime, without anyone knowing that you are performing anything at all.
Side effects, like pain and discomfort, arise only when you overdo them. For gaining maximum benefits, you must make sure that you are squeezing and holding the right muscles. Apart from this, regularly performing Kegel will be a key to getting over incontinence and sexual problems.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.