Imagine making a hula hoop with PVC pipe. Sounds interesting? Wait till you read ahead and see how simple it is too!
A hula hoop is something that is not necessarily used only by kids frolicking in parks! When you start using it, you’ll realize that it’s not only fun, but also a great way to maintain your fitness level as well. So, you may now be considering going out to a store and buying yourself a gorgeous hula hoop at once, right? But, what if I tell you that you don’t need to spend that amount on a store bought one and that you can make one at home by spending only a fraction of the amount you intend to spend? Do I have your rapt attention now? Well then, just proceed with the following section of this FitnessVigil article to know how you can do it!
Making a Weighted Hula Hoop Out of PVC
If you’re under the impression that this could be a very arduous task and that it will take a long time to get completed then you can be both right and wrong. How? Well, it’s not everyday that you make a weighted hula hoop, right? So it’s bound to take you some time to begin, but you’ll get the hang of it. So, let us see what are the materials that you require to make one.
- PVC Pipe: You’re sure to come across PVC pipes in your local hardware store in the plumbing section. Now, while buying the PVC pipe, there are two things that you need to keep in mind.
- PSI or Per Square Inch: The one you buy for your hula hoop should be a minimum of 100 PSI and a maximum of 160 PSI. This is nothing but a way to measure the sturdiness of the pipe. The higher the PSI, the sturdier it is.
- Inches: This is the measure of the width of the pipe. The one you should buy should be at least ¾ of an inch or 1 inch.
- PVC Cutter: You will require this to cut through the PVC pipe after you decide how much you’ll need.
- Container and Boiling Water: This will be required to soften the pipe.
- PVC Couplings: These are required to join the pipe ends and hold them together firmly. They must be bought according to the width of the pipe that you have purchased.
- Colored Tape: This is optional, solely for decorative purposes.
Now simply follow the instructions below
1. First, go buy the PVC pipe according to the specifications given above. Take the help of the salesperson to buy the correct pipe. A flimsy pipe will not make a strong hula hoop. So make sure you buy the correct pipe.
2. Next, get home and decide the length of the pipe that you want to use. To decide this, you can place the pipe on the ground and pull it vertically upwards until it reaches between your shoulders. This is the generally accepted height of a hula hoop. A smaller one can become very difficult to use.
3. Once you’ve decided the height, you can cut the pipe using the PVC cutter. You may also use a hacksaw for this purpose, but it can get pretty messy, not to mention the amount of time taken to cut a strong PVC pipe with a hacksaw can be almost double.
4. So, now you’ve cut the pipe and you have two pieces of equal length with you. You need to join these pipes together now. So, what you must do is, insert the couplings that you have bought into one open end of the pipe. Now, take the container of boiling water and place the pipe along with the coupling in it, and fasten the other end of the pipe to the coupling. The hot water will make the PVC pipe and coupling soft and hence easy to join. When you remove the pipe from the water, it will cool down and tighten around the coupling.
5. You need to repeat the procedure with the remaining open ends of the pipe and the coupling.
6. Your hula hoop is ready! You can wrap it in the colored tape if you wish to give it a more festive appearance!
Now that you’ve made one, how about trying out a hula hoop workout? You’ll definitely enjoy it! Have fun and stay healthy!