Weightlifting straps are a useful piece of gym equipment. They are used for getting a good grip on heavy weights. For those of you, who do not know how to use them, here is some help.
Heavy weightlifting exercises such as dead lifts, shrugs, cable rows etc., require a very powerful grip. These weightlifting exercises involve lifting a barbell with weighted objects at both the ends. Normally, a person lifts the bar by gripping his hands around the bar. It is common for the weightlifters to dust talc or some resinous materials on their hand before attempting to lift weight. The purpose of applying such materials, is to enhance the grip on the bar. Thus, a proper grip plays a very important role in weight training. If the grip is not proper, your ability to lift the desired amount of weight reduces drastically. This is where wrist straps come into picture.
As mentioned before, lift straps enhance your grip and give you maximum strength to lift the weights. Using them, you can easily lift a desired amount of weight. They help in better utilization of muscle strength. Some people think that they affect the grip strength and forearm muscles. However, this is not true. This effect is negligible when you take into account their role in strengthening total muscle mass and working lats and back. Moreover, simple forearm exercises in your daily life can help you enhance your grip and work your forearms. This will eliminate the potential negative effect. Additionally, they also prevent any possibility of injuries due to incorrect grip. Once you get hold of them, they make your exercising very comfortable and effective. You can also use padded straps for weightlifting that are designed mainly for additional comfort.
Instructions for Usage
Weightlifting straps are basically a strip of very strong fabric such as cotton, nylon, leather, or suede. They have a loop at one end, through which you put your hand. Here are step by step instructions on how to use them.
- First, put your hand through the loop at the end of the long strap.
- Now, pull the tail of the strap and tighten it around your wrist.
- Wrap this tail around the bar or handle of the weight you desire to lift. However, make sure you don’t overlap it or tie it in a knot.
- Now hold this wrapped tail, along with the bar or the handle of the weight you desire to lift. Clasp your hands in a tight grip around this bar.
- Perform the weightlifting workout or back exercises, as you would normally do.
- While putting the weight down, release your grip from around the bar, the tail will unwrap on its own.
If you are a beginner, you should use them under the guidance of your gym instructor. He will instruct you exactly on how to use them for their maximum efficiency. You can then practice on your own and enjoy their myriad benefits. You can buy them from any sports equipment shop or you can even order them online. They cost about USD 15 – USD 20 and are truly worth it.