Powerlifting workouts are exclusively meant for gaining strength in the body. The hectic moves are supposed to be followed thrice a week. Read the following FitnessVigil article to check out the workout routine, especially for women.
Women who are looking for endurance training or strength building should follow a powerlifting workout regimen. These exercises are mostly performed by athletes, who need solid muscle strength to perform their moves. Powerlift workouts are not meant for women with a weak heart; these exercises, unlike cardio, involve lifting weights to gain strength in the body. They are mostly focused towards arms and legs. The lifts should be performed under exclusive supervision of a fitness trainer to prevent injury to muscles or bones.
There are certain tips that need to be taken into account before trying out the powerlifts. Check them out.
- The strength training exercises that are meant for women, differ from muscle building exercises. So it’s important for you to know the exact moves that will help you build strength.
- These exercises are usually performed every alternate day to avoid excessive strain on the muscles. Therefore, choose the days for the powerlifts.
- Pick up the exercises that target the main muscles of the body, namely, the arms, back, chest, and the legs. Then set on the lifts.
- Decide the weight for yourself, so that you are able to perform the lifts for at least 4 or 5 times. Never jump to heavy weights at the beginning. Practice gradually under the guidance of a trainer.
- Start with 4-5 lifts and increase the number once your body is adapted to it. Perform smooth movements instead of jerks.
- You should take rest for a few minutes in between the sets.
- Make sure you engage in adequate warm-up exercises to make your body flexible. Improper warm-ups often lead to muscle sprain and nerve twitches.
Workouts for Beginners
The fact should be clearly known that the lifting workouts are not for building muscle mass, but for bringing strength in the body. You need to cultivate immense patience to get the desired results. These exercises boost up the ability of your body to perform activities like lifting heavy weights. The best powerlift exercises include, dead lifts, power clean, squats, and bench press. The complete workout routine is mentioned below.
DAY 1, MONDAY: For Chest and Back
- Barbell Bench Press: 5 sets
- Weighted Chest Dips: 4 sets
- Dumbbell Bench Press: 4 sets
Tuesday should be the day of rest. You can practice some mild abdominal exercises on this day.
DAY 2, WEDNESDAY: For Legs
- Squat: 6 sets
- Leg Curls: 4 sets
- Standing Calf Raise: 4 sets
- Leg Extension: 4 sets
Thursday will again be the resting day. However, you can concentrate on stomach exercises on this day.
DAY 3, FRIDAY: For Shoulders and Triceps
- Incline Bench Press: 4 sets
- Dumbbell Front Raise: 4 sets
- Dead Lifts: 4 sets
Saturday is again an off day. On this day you can perform a few, free hand exercises and stretching. Sunday will be a total break from the exercise program. Your body needs a complete rest after performing the heavy exercises. The muscles should be rejuvenated to start the workout routine on Monday.
The different forms of exercises help in making muscles stronger. Bench presses are best for shoulder and triceps. Squats and curls render endurance to the muscles of legs. They make the lower body strong. The exercises mentioned for shoulders and triceps are useful for strengthening the backbone and the spine. Back extension exercises and barbell rows fortify the chest and the back.
Apart from all these, diet plays an important role to fetch positive results. Your body requires adequate food to supplement the energy lost during workout. Follow the diet chart, suggested by your trainer, stringently. A certain amount of carbohydrates and fats are also essential to give you adequate amount of energy. You should drink plenty of water at least one hour after the exercise to avoid dehydration.